Prepping your motorcycle for springtime riding
As soon as the snow starts to melt and the weather starts to warm up, get ready for the spring! A lot of people are excited about the end of winter and the start of spring because it only means one thing – you are free again to ride your motorcycle! It’s the perfect time to take out your bike from its winter storage and gear it up for its first ride of the year. But, before you get so excited about riding out, please remember that riding a motorcycle in spring can be dangerous. Why? The simple truth is that you’re not the only one itching for a ride. That means you will be sharing the road to a lot of motorcyclist.
Riding a motorcycle in spring does not require you to wear motorcycle rain suits but a complete riding gear is still advised. Another thing you need to remember is that, your bike has been stored for some time during the winter. Prepping your motorcycle for springtime riding will be quick and easy as long as you properly stored it. However, it is still very important to check its parts for some damage and to make sure they can still function.
To make sure your motorcycle is ready, check the following:
- Oil. The first thing that you need to check is the oil of your vehicle whether it is a car or a motorcycle. Oil that runs smoothly through the system will help your engine run at its best. But since you did not use your bike during the winter, it is best to perform a complete oil change just to be on the safe side.
- Lubricate some parts of your motorcycle to bring it to life again. It is important to check for dust and rust then lubricate the chains and brakes in order to have a smooth ride. This is also a perfect time to check if your brake pads need replacement.
- Charge your battery. After being stagnant the whole winter, it is best to check your battery charge.
- Clean your bike. Even though you did the necessary cleaning before storing your bike for the winter, it won’t hurt if you do a little cleaning now that you’re going to ride it for the first time again. Clean the tailpipes, the leather seat and shine up the chrome.
- Fill up. Before you ride, remember to fill up your gas or fuel.
This process is quick and easy and will help keep you safe.